Diet Coke Side Effects!

Hopefully you have read in my story the Diet Coke side effects that I experienced during my nearly 10 year addiction. If you haven’t please stop and read my two pages on the left side navigation and then come back to this post to find out why I experienced them.

The internet is full of stories, articles, posts, and comments about Diet Coke side effects and to be honest side effects of drinking regular soda’s or other unhealthy drinks as well. Do a quick search on Google for Diet Coke Side effects and you will see all the different places you can go to view information. There are also two sides to this story because you will find those who share their addiction and what they have experienced and then you will find those that are opposed to the notion that the ingredients in Diet and other drinks are perfectly fine for you and they have had no problem. I am not here to sway you one way or another, what I am here to share is MY own experience and what my Diet Coke side effects were. If you read my story, you will remember that I struggled with this addiction for nearly 10 years. It was not an addiction that was planned; it happened over time and all of a sudden, at age 40, I noticed things happening that had not happened before. Let me list just a few of the symptoms that I experienced:

Constant headaches

Almost weekly Migraines

Joint pain in both my knees

Stiff neck

Overly dry skin and hair

What my wife would call memory loss (of course I think this is a normal guy thing)

Extreme fatigue

Lack of concentration

Sure, you can probably explain away most all of these to other things, but how my story ends is proof to me that my Diet Coke side effects were caused by my large consumption over a long period of time.

I believe that Aspartame is one of the ingredients that can cause the side effects that I list above, plus many others. Aspartame is used in many food products, including gum, and yes, it is approved by the FDA, but I think, as you investigate for yourself, you will find enough evidence to agree that there is something to all the claims of health problems associated with it. Caffeine, processed sugars, other artificial sweeteners and other harmful stimulants also can play a roll in affecting people’s health. Diet drinks are linked to many health situations including diabetes, obesity, blood pressure problems and a whole host of other concerns reported by folks around the globe.

Does everyone experience these problems, certainly not, but if folks play out their lives similar to mine, the long term affects of consuming so much of these harmful products might just end them up one day like I was, wondering why I felt so terrible at only age 40.

If you read my last page on how I accidentally broke my addiction to Diet Coke, you hopefully have realized that there are healthy alternatives out there. In 5 days my addiction was gone and during that time and up until today, I have not had one withdrawal symptom. Do I believe that the ingredients in diet sodas are harmful over time, you bet I do, I experienced it. I will also tell you that since my addiction was busted; I have not had one headache, not one migraine, no more joint pain in my knees or neck, no more fatigue, not one Diet Coke side effect that I struggled with for so long has remained. That is the reason I believe all the negative things out there about Aspartame and artificial sweeteners, Caffeine, processed sugars and stimulants, to me they are all true.

If you are like I was and found it hard to quit on my own, check out my link for A.C.T. on the right side navigation. You can’t find a healthier replacement for your addiction, and all at a price that you won’t find anywhere else, and maybe, just maybe you will experience what I did, a life changing event. If you don’t have an addiction but are looking for more energy and vitality, A.C.T. is that product.

If you are ready to break that diet drink addiction, give Drink ACT a try, I think you will start to see a much healthier life begin to form!!  Email me, wittmc@msn.com if you have any questions, I’d be glad to help out.

Mike Witt

Diet Coke Drinker No More!

70 comments

1. Sheri says:

Hi Mike, How did you break the addiction of drinking diet coke, I have all the symptoms, headaches, stomach problems, memory, joint pains, weight problems, no energy, sleep problems. I not only drink diet coke, I add vanilla to the soda, I crave the sweetness. What I see on all the comments, it really causes problems, maybe soon I will posting another comment I am off the addiction of diet coke

2. Jo says:

well, this explains a lot. I have had head aches, muscle aches, joints hurt, tired all the time…to the point of just not being able to do anything except come home from work and LIE down the rest of the night, getting out of bed, going up stairs, playing with my son, is painful to the point that it makes me cry. I have had a full work up at Drs, been to massage therapists, chiropractors, noting was found, until my friend directed me to this web site, and read down your list of symptoms and other peoples and holy crap!!!!!!! For a while I thought maybe I was losing it and goign nuts because the Drs found no explaination
    after reading all this my first thought is ICK I am done, but there is a small part of me that also worries because I know that this is a 20 year addiction that is gonna be so hard to kick! I drink AT LEAST a six pack a day.
    Thank you for this page! Answered a lot of questions that have been driving me mad

3. Sarah says:

I just started drinking diet-coke and my this side cought my eye while i was looking for side-effects of drinking diet-coke. I just thought it would be a great way to loose weight, but health is more important to me.

Thanks for warning!

4. Don says:

I think I probably qualify as a cola addict (I drink all brands and at a rate of about 2 litres per day) for the past 20 years or so. First sugared, then a brush with diabetes like symptoms left me intolerant of sugar, so I switched to diet brands (and altered my lifestyle and avoided the whole diabetes thing). At 50yrs, and 12 yrs of diet drinks I can’t say that I have experienced any of the ill effects noted above. I have even stopped a various times and have experienced none of the side effects noted above. I like the mental alertness from the caffeine buzz, and since I dislike hot/warm drinks, I find a cold diet cola makes me more alert, especially slowly sipped during the day at the office.

So do I think diet cola’s are good for me, heck no. Just because I have not had any of the bad effects does not mean that I think the stuff is good for me. I am thinking of quitting (I don’t think that I can just easy off since I like the buzz so much) just because I don’t think that consuming that much of any one item is good for a guy. Some of the “bad” things I have noted are as follows. 1) I love sweet things, really really badly (and these are really really bad for me so I rarely indulge), and I think that the extreme sweetness of diet cola’s plays a real role in educating my palette to love sweets. When I have eased off the cola I have noticed that mildly sweet things like carrots start tasting a lot better and my constant craving for extreme sweets eases. 2) I just completed a physical exam, and passed with flying colours. The only oddity was a low Vit D in my blood work. This is strange, since I take a daily multivitamin, and I also love skim milk (vit D enriched) to the tune of 1-2 litres per day and am very active outside during the day. I am inclined to blame the phosporic acid in colas, since these can mess with calcium metabolism.

So time to retire the cola bottles. Maybe I can develop an addition to cold green tea, and get my caffeine buzz a more healthy way.

cheers

5. Miss P says:

I started drinking a huge bottle of diet coke a day, here in the UK. I drank this for about three months, until I began to experience pains and tingling in my arms and legs, plus ‘ice pick headaches’ and kidney pain. I stopped drinking it about a year ago, and I am still suffering from the above, particularly leg pain – feels like pain in one thigh bone – and if I sit still for more than five minutes, i.e. driving a car, or sitting in a chair, or getting out of bed in the morning, I am wracked with pain. Plus stinking urine for the last year, despite drinking plenty of water, and no urinary tract infection etc. I can’t think of anything else which could have caused this, and up until my diet coke binge, I was healthy. Am going to see a rheumatologist, to see it they can find the reason for the excruciating joint and muscle pain after imobilisation.

6. Tanner says:

I am 16 and drink about 4-7 cans a day. My family says i should stop but i see no negetive reprrecuscions.

7. sharon says:

hi ,have been drinking diet coke and diet pepsi for years,i have had problems with my liver so i stopped the pop and my liver count went back down,stupid me started drinking it again bottles of it daily, just had blood tests taken and my liver is way to high ,i have stopped drinking it altogether now ,hopefully my repeat blood test will show an improvement ,i will never drink that stuff again ,i also think they should put warning signs on the bottles of pop ,sharon x

8. Jason says:

I have bin drinking this POISON for years now and i have just started to loss hair and it has bin about a month that i have bin loseing hair and did not think it was because of the diet coke but i see alot of people saying they have bin losing hair =( Im DONE!!! With this making me lose my hair and health of course this is more important to me NO MORE COKE THIS IS NO JOKE!Wish you guys the best hope you can quit this.GOOD LUCK YOU ALL GOD BLESS!!!I’M DONE WITH IT…..

9. sarah says:

hi..i drink diet coke twice a wk and my joints are painful and im having hair loss and sometimes migraine…me and my bf just had an argument about this diet coke coz he thinks that this will not do harm on my body…i wanted to loose weight so im avoiding these things….and my dr friend share me this link….and i was so greatful to him coz it really makes me understand and also my bf that this is really harmful….

10. Elaine Dole says:

I was told by my rheumatologists to stop drinking soda, that is causing all my joint problems, I have been off for 1 week have no side effects and my muscle problems have gone away. I now drink water and flavored water

11. VVic says:

Good morning!

I’m a colaholic – the regular type. Doesn’t matter what the brand is although my preferences change depending on what part of the world I’m in.

My question regarding withdrawal problems, headaches, etc. Does anyone know what percentage of it is from the cola and what percentage it might be from colas with Aspartame.

In our home we take an aggressive stance on the consumption of Aspartame. It’s becoming far more difficult to fight as time progresses. No more chewing gum (I realise there are a few still out there that are sugar based), change in toothpastes…we now use bicarbonate of soda, crisps (or potato chips) and the list goes on.

I instantly have a reaction whenever aspartame touches my tongue. It almost sizzles and it leaves terrible small blisters. I can’t imagine what it does inside my stomach. I’ve even discovered it in an effervescent pain tablet with paracetamol.

What do the cola manufacturers say about this? Do they acknowledge the addictions? I just completed a behavioural modification course regarding my cola consumption and have done amazingly well.

But the aspartame issue still haunts me. I’d be grateful for any advice. Thank you!

12. Lorna says:

I quit drinking Diet Coke Oct 3 — after drinking 3 20-oz bottles regularly for years. I had two days of awful headaches and one day of a little headache. I was quitting it for dietary reasons, after listening to a self-hypnosis cd.
    What I noticed after one week was that my knees quit hurting. I had been taking 600 mg ibuprofen & 50mg toradol as needed for the past two years. Suddenly, the last week and a half, NO PAIN.
    I’m just sayin’…….

13. Jerry says:

I had lost almost all of my body hair and was in the process of going bald. I gave up all forms of artificial sugar in January this year. Body hair has returned and the hair on my head is coming back in. I will never drink fake sugar again. Most of what I drank had Aspartame in it. I did not change how much caffeine I drink.

14. Kaylabrown says:

I recently quit drinking regular coke and started drinking diet beverages (like no kore then two or three cans a day) and I have felt fine… I think a lot of the problems is not nessicarily the drink it self, with a bunch of people but more of the amount. Drinking two liters a day of ANYTHING but water is unhealthy for anyone. I was steadily losing hair while I was drinking regular soda but my hair got stronger when I started drinking diet…

15. Victor Isaacs says:

I have never called myself a Diet Coke addict but have been a regular drinker of that product since I was diagnosed diabetic 30 years ago.

Recentky I have been having cronic diohrear and have been to the doctoir and am seeing a specialist this week. However I did a food a drink chart, and realised that my main rush to the toilet was usually after drinking Diet Coke. I have stopped drinking it, in fact not an carbonated drinks.

16. Carter says:

There is something about diet coke and its ingredients that have an effect on you both short and long term. Talking briefly about the short term it’s the “buzz’ Diet Coke provides after the first few sips of the day keep us coming back for more and more and more. Whether it can be attributed to the caffeine, Aspartame or a combination of both I am not sure. But there is something there.
    As far as the long term effects I have been drinking Diet coke for 10 years with a minimal daily intake of 32oz, and two weeks ago I stopped after reading this blog. .Because of:
    Constant neck stiffness
    Daily headaches,
    Joint pain.(strange thing was I could feel my hip joints)
    Craving for sweets
    During the transition I wanted to minimize those annoying caffeine headaches so I switched to Lipton Diet Green Tea, it has half the caffeine and sodium of Diet Coke. Anyway only after (2) weeks the joint pain, headaches and cravings have subsided if not disappeared all together. Amazing, thanks for the info.

17. Ken says:

This problem is CLEARLY a legitimate addiction, and although perhaps a lesser evil than some, should be treated accordingly. I have always been into health and nutrition. I eat well, exercise (weights and cardio), get decent sleep, and am always on the look out for ways to better my health, YET 2-3 2liters/day has really made all this VERY hard for me to continue! I am 32, and as of 2 months ago, in the best shape of my life! As the amt of Diet WHATEVER I have been drinking goes up my energy crashes. Much like an alcoholic, the more I drink, the more I NEED! Headaches every day now. Mood swings. Stomach problems. Maybe the WORST of ALL…preoccupation with the junk when I dont have 1 to my lips or within close proximity! All of your wonderful and HONEST comments have encouraged me to finally be done with this POISON!!! Thank you all for letting me know that Im not the only one struggeling with this ADDICTION!

18. Ken says:

Sorry, 1 more comment. I believe the caffeine EXHAUSTS the adrenal glands (resoponsible for adrenalin, fight/flight ect.). To fully understand that this REALLY does affect our mood, anger, energy, sleep patters, and over all health and wellbeing, do a quick web search on adrenal gland exhaust/health. I hope this helps, and thank you all again!

19. Ken says:

20. John says:

I have used Diet Coke since the day it first came out. I drink nothing else. I have quit several times, the longest time was 135 days. But it only takes one. I know Diet Coke has damaged my liver and has caused all the problems other people describe. If only we knew better.

21. Leslie says:

Im on my 3 rd day of no Diet coke, recentl ydeveloped unexplained nerve damage in a leg, ive had severe hip pain for years. doc ran tests but really had no answers. i came home with a sack full of prescriptions that had even worse side effects! I received an email on the damages of diet doke months ago and finally pulled it back up and reread it to discover that all my problems are on that list ! my pulse rate was also very high, but blood pressure is fine. bottom line is now on my 3rd day with no diet drink { coke} , I have no leg pain, slept the whole nite,, my chest pain has eased, I think im even thinking clearer. all this after just 3 days? wow! I own a convience store so in the past would walk by the coke machine and just refill my glass all day and evening, so no way to tell how much i drank, as well as keeping a constant suppy at home . I can honestly say i think this is changing my life for the better, and will never drink a diet coke again, Im trying to find a replacemant , which i guess will be water, hmmm, been drinking some power-aid , juices

22. abby says:

Wow I’m so motivated , I drink 6- 10 bottles diet coke daily, I have bad headaches when I try to stop, and feel moody and agitated ! So much for diet sodas I’ve gained 10kg ! I need to stop dis, I know I can , thks for d info.. God bless

23. ric says:

I have been a diet coke junkie off and on for many years, sometimes I quit because It’s making me bloated & fat, sometimes because I look in the back of my truck at the end of a day & see 9- 20oz empty bottles, and think Omg that is $18.00 I blew out the window on soda today.
    This time around is different, I have had these symptoms before & they disappear when I quit the diet comes. But this time they are really doing a number on me, I have headaches all the time, I have pain in the chest bones between ribs that simulate heart pain, I can’t concentrate on much of anything, if I have to drive for more than 20min on the freeway I start to dose off at the wheel. It is making me lazy to the point that I am loosing customers because I don’t have the energy to stand up and take care of business.
    This time is different because I feel myself dying, I can feel my life’s energy being sucked right out of me.
    You would think the fda could put a health risk label like they do for beer, wine & cigarettes, but that would obviously be to much to ask.

24. Rachel says:

Thank you all for you comments! They have helped me a lot :D
    They make me feel that I am not alone in this thing.
    I drank about 3 litres of coke a day, if not more. even in the mornings! hahaha
    now I drink about 0,5 liter a day. I plan to have coke free days soon. I really find it very difficult after 2 years. But somewhere this has to stop!
    You guys are my motivation :)

Thank you all for supporting me unknowingly.

25. Regina says:

One more thing. My neighbor never drink water. Some milk. Some tea. Just coke.

And she wonders why her urine smells like pure ammonia.

26. Regina says:

I have a neighbor that is addicted to diet coke. Two weeks ago she purchased 21 2ltr bottles on a Thursday and by the following Sunday, she had the nerve to call me to ask if I would go to the store and purchase her a couple bottles. I told her no. This woman is tipping the scales over 425lbs and is getting larger.

Her excuse is, well there’s not that much sodium and it is less fattening. When she moved in, she was under 325lbs. She does not exercise. All she do is play computer games on the net and watch tv.

She calls me at work or when I get home from work asking me to buy her a soda. She does not understand the word no.

27. Sandy says:

I would suggest that when you quit Diet Coke cold turkey, you temporarily drink some coffee or take caffeine pills to ward off the headaches caused by the sudden withdrawal from the caffeine provided by the Diet Coke.

28. Christine says:

My husband drank diet pop for over 10 years, he had constant neck aches and colon cramps. He drank them first thing in the morning and could go all day without eating. He never lost any weight, in fact he was pudgy all over even though he was very active. He also had anger problems and was extremely moody. When he finally quit, his neck aches and colon problems went away and he has never touched the stuff again.

29. Greg says:

I still struggle quitting this addiction. I am going to commit to myself, and all my friends that yell at me because of drinking Diet Coke or any form of soda. When i don’t drink it i feel better. But then i have an 8 ounce then a 20, and back to a liter.. It’s worse than quitting drugs or alcohol. I have 24 yrs of recovery and i feel worse then ever. I do believe that it is because of the Diet Coke. I really need to do this. Gods Speed to all.

30. clh says:

i quit drinking all diet pops 12 days ago. i can sleep better, minimal headaches, and i do feel better – except for one thing. i have had constant diarrhea, starting about 3 – 4 days after i quit … the only thing i’ve changes is not the diet stuff. i drink a lot of water, milk and maybe 1 or 2 glasses of tea a day – that’s it. any ideas?

31. Sheila says:

I have been drinking diet coke since I found out I was pregnant with my now two month old daughter. I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes, and I even asked my nutritionist if diet coke was ok. She said it was!

Now after having her, I still have the irritability and rage at my poor husband, well after the postpartum blues phase.

I didn’t think it’d be the diet coke! (I drink caffeine free diet coke) I have been slowly weaning myself off, but I think I will quit cold turkey after reading all this. I’ve had lack of sleep (not just because of the baby) and recent headaches. My hair does sometimes come out, but I have so much of it that it doesn’t really show.

Thank you for posting this! No more of that icky stuff for me!

32. Elenabird says:

I understand what you mean in that Diet Coke has side effects. Recently I dropped 10 lbs and constantly used diet coke as a way to make me feel full and satisfied while treating myself to good taste. During this time my hair dried out and felt like hay, I was constantly tired (but yet had trouble sleeping at night) and developed sores on my inner cheeks and tongue that I assume was from the acid in Diet Coke. Once I recognized the root of my problem i stopped drinking Diet Coke right away. Compared to before I feel energized and healthy!

33. Anne-Marie says:

I am experiencing aching arms at night time – causing me to have trouble sleeping. The days when I don’t drink diet coke, I don’t have the pain. After reading the above posts, I am going cold turkey as of right now. xo

34. Rachael says:

I can honestly say that the thought of going longer than a day without Diet Coke scares the heck out of me! I have been drinking DC since I was thirteen years old, as I got older I consumed more and more each day, I had someone say to me once that they had not seen me without a diet coke in my hand for longer than a 10 minute span since they have known me. I have never touched coffee and I am not allowed any sugar so Diet Coke and water was the obvious solution to my beverage needs, 4 liters plus daily, I have a major problem but I always said it was my only enjoyment left since I cant have any sugar drinks. I have had crazy headaches, trouble falling asleep, joint pain, and thinning hair….is it really worth it?? I think not!
    Today is my first day without it after 2o years, sofar I have had just a slight annoying headache nothing an Advil can’t cure…I am praying for Strength to kick this addiction for good. I will keep you all posted on my success.

35. Dawn says:

I have been addicted for 20 years and gave up when I fell pregnant and felt & still feel healthier than ever before. Used to get regular migraines, irritabilty, constantly tired, lack of energy & motivation & short term memory loss. Apart from the memory, I haven’t had even a headache since, I now swim every day and feel totally relaxed and layed back with everyone. Best of all I love drinking water & hate the taste of diet coke when I have the odd one. A young girl I work with was having migraines and I persuded her to stop the diet coke and, yes, it worked – no more head aches for her!!

36. Diane says:

I used to be a Diet Dr. Pepper junkie, too. I would drink at least 2 2 Liter bottles a day. The more I drank, the more I needed…
    After reading articles about artificial sweeteners, I finally decided it was now or never. I learned to love water… and now eat organic everything. I’ve gone from a size 12 to a size 2, and feel so much better! I will never buy that garbage again as long as I live! I don’t even have it in my house for company. I refuse to support the companies that make that toxic garbage!

37. Patty says:

I am not sure what inspired me to search for a site on this other than the fact that I am worried about how much soda I drink. I saw something on tv the other night about someone that drinks WAY too much soda. I’m not better than she was.
    I drink soda all day, I’ve noticed more tooth pain, aches in general and I’ve had awful migraines in the last 8 yrs??? My complexion is getting worse and worse. When I went on a diet long ago and drank nothing but water, My skin cleared up and I actually looked 10 yrs younger.
    I just read something about a lady that has pre-osteoporosis. Its time. How do I quit this stuff. Its like i’ve got the diet coke monkey on my back, and he’s settled in for a long ride.
    regards,
    patty

38. sarah says:

I am prompted to quit drinking diet coke due to joint pain. After reading above comments, perhaps diet coke is also the reason for hair loss. My daughter and I prayed tonight for God to give me the grace to quit drinking DC for at least seven days.

39. Elle says:

Wow! I’m amazed at how many people are suffering from this! I’m more amazed after learning this that this drug is still out there!
    I googled neg. side effects of diet coke to see what would come up. I wanted to see if any of them fit what I have experienced.
    I actually quit a few months ago because I had a panic attack in a very public place and knew it was the diet coke. The day after the panic attack I dropped the stuff and started to feel wonderful and like myself again.
    But I recently started back up due to the mounting stresses of in my life. I immediately started having migraines (never had migraines before diet coke). My personality has changed and I feel a lot of rage and irritability. I guess I was looking for the facts to motivate me into quitting again. But more than that I think those who have shared and commented with their own stories have given me more strength to overcome my addiction. Thank you.

40. Phuti says:

I was addicted to Coke for more than 12yrs and i was experiencing hair loss on the left and right hand side of my head. I have been treating my hair with hair products that contain minoxydil for five yrs now with no luck. I then decided to visit the internet and check if coke could be the reason why i am busy losing hair and I was amazed by the response i got. I decided to stop right there and then, drink water and eat healthy and I was suprised by the results. It has been 2 and half months since I stopped my bad habit and my hair is fully grown on one side. the other side is still recovering and i do have hope cause the growing hair is much thicker and stronger than the time i was using minoxydil hair sprays.

No more, i have learnt the hard way.

41. Julie says:

Hi,
    I am such a Diet Coke Addict. I have been drinking it since i was little and it has become really bad. I drink about at least a case a day, and i drink it accessively at work. I experience bad headaches when i dont drink any diet coke, and I feel sick sometimes without it. I also realized that I do have joint pain, and my bones are really weak! I have trouble concentrating, and I have trouble sleeping throughout the night.

there was this one time where i decided to go on a pop diet, and i dropped about 2 pant sizes, and i weighed about 130 before i stopped drinking pop, and i lost about 20 pounds? i didnt have any fat left in my body! i thought it was amazing and stuff, but i didnt like the color of my skin because i was so pale! so i started drinking pop again and gained all my fat left.

I read this article and found out that all the sugar in Diet coke is the last thing that your body digest! I forgot where i found that out from, but it was quite interesting.

youre article was really helpful, and thanks.

42. Angie Ellison says:

I recently gave up all coke products, due to stomach and joint pain as well as IBS. It has just been amazing after only 2 weeks after giving up the coke products – my joint pain has been so much better and the stomach as well. I am only drinking water- NO MORE CAFFINE- I feel so much better. My energy level is better and I can honestly think better- NO MORE BRAIN FOG.
    I think the diet coke and coke products are just just not a good thing. You just do not realize it until you are off of them , how much better you feel. I will not EVER go back to that lifestyle again. If you are having any of these symptoms, you might just make a simple change and cut out the caffine and all coke and diet coke as well as the artifical sweetners. You will be amazed at how much better you will feel.

43. Cheryl says:

Hi there…I just happened apon this site by doing a search about the harmful effects of soda/pop…especially diet pop.
    I drink probably at least 1 can of diet pepsi a day…
    I am quitting right now.
    I too, noticed hair loss. Attributed to the fact my dad is bald. BUT I used to have beautiful hair…I am 40 now, and have enjoyed diet drinks for over 15 years.
    DUH…takes a while for some people to get the hint.
    Also, suffering from a weird pain in my left leg. I am a very active person and every so often the joint seems to almost pop…haha..no pun intended…but it is extremely painful!
    Probably the diet drinks. UGH.
    Thank you for creating this site. I’ll look at more of your articles.

44. ARLAN says:

I drank diet pepsi for several yrs(2-4 liters)per day.I workedout at gym,racket ball,etc.but I had constant headaches.Iwent to a neurologist,he said he did not know cause.So I quit all sodas,drank bottle water.in a few days my headaches we gone!! I feel better and I still work out inlcuding training for my black belt in martial arts. I am approaching 57 yrs.old

45. Jorge says:

Hi,

I wanted to thank you for this article since my brother (not I) has a very bad problem with Diet Coke and so does his wife. I will try once again to take it away from them and Im sure your article will help.

George

46. Heather says:

I drink quite a bit of diet coke every day. I would try to stop and I would get a headache so I would drink it to cure the headache. I have had headaches on and off for years, and I often feel exhausted, without ever understanding why. It never occured to me that it could be linked to the aspartame. Recently, the headaches have become severe and constant. I have had a headache for a week and a half straight. Yesterday, I had a severe case of diarrhea. After doing research, I have discovered this is often a side affect of Aspartame. After this incident I am done for good with diet coke. It will never again touch my lips!

47. wittmc says:

Thank you for the great comment and note. I understand exactly where you are.

I too didn’t have a clue that it was the Diet Coke, until I broke the addiction and learned that the Aspertame was the reason I was experiencing so many health problems.

Like you, I too drink water, and ACT, but it is incredible how healthy a person can feel after kicking the diet drink habit.

Thanks again for your comment, I appreciate that very much.

Mike Witt

48. M says:

Hi,

I gave up Diet Coke about 3 months ago following another bad water infection and I havent looked back since, I used to drink 6 cans a day at work and then 2 litres at home EVERYDAY! I was tired, had such bad headaches, and I refused to believe my friends that it was Diet Coke as it was my one indulgence – I now only drink water and feel so much better for it. I drank some Diet Coke one night as I had some in the fridge left over, just to see how I would feel after 2 months of not having any and I couldnt sleep all night and I ended up having a panic attack, scary!! Never touch the stuff EVER again!! x

49. wittmc says:

Hi Jill,

Thank you for the comment and information, glad that your husband got rid of all the diet drinks. If you search the internet you will find much information about Aspartame and the side effects associated or reported by folks. I myself didn’t experience hair loss, but hair loss is definaltely one of those side effects reported by many people. I can’t tell you how long it takes to grow back for sure. What I can tell you is that once you quit for good, it can take some time for your body to heal. Stick to it, stop drinking it and watch your body respond in a great way, you will begin to feel healthier than you ever have before.

Thanks again,
    Mike Witt

50. Jill says:

Hi! I too have become a diet coke addict. I recently lost 40 pds. and went from coke to diet coke. I have been having terrible headaches and for the past 2 weeks my hair has been coming out in clumps. I had long thick naturally curly hair. now it looks thin and stringy. Just curious, anyone else experienced hair loss? If so, how long after you stopped using aspartame before it starts to grow back? My hubby poured all my diet drinks out tonight :-( He agrees that it has to be the cause.