This Site Is Dedicated to Breaking the Diet Drink Addiction!!

My name is Mike Witt and I have created this site to help the thousands of people who are addicted to diet drinks like I was kick the habit. I want to share how I broke a 7 cans a day, for nearly 10 years Diet Coke habit, in just 5 Days with no withdrawal symptoms at all. This was an exciting time in my life and I wanted to share my experience with those who struggle as I did to quit this tough addiction.

Thanks,
Mike Witt

146 comments

1. Jason Burton says:

hay, i went from real coke to diet coke and coke zero a year ago thinking it was better for me, but then i was drinking up to 4 or 5 cans a day i loved it. but i had constant gas and real bad stomach cramps so my wife said it must be the diet drinks as i have changed the rest of my diet since i started at the gym. well this is my 3rd day without any diet drinks or fizzys at all . i have found a mineral herbal sprakling water in its place and i am feeling so much better already havent had any withdrawls yet just a headache on the 1st day and am a little bit tired

2. Annette says:

I used to drink( 2 )20 oz diet cokes or pepsi per day. Now I am only drinking one per day and trying very hard to stop. I did stop for a month but then started back again. I encourage all of you to not give up and it is possible to break the habit. I am going to try again and this time I will replace it with maybe green tea and see if that helps.

3. Patricia says:

I started drinking Dr. Pepper about 35 yrs ago when I lived in San Diego where the water was just awful. Changed jobs. Gained weight. Switched to Diet Dr. Pepper. Lost weight. Endured the switch to DDrP with aspartame and for the last many years have consumed up to a 6 pack of cans a day. I’ve suspected the Aspartame as being the source of some of my aches and pains. Years ago I read the book Sweet Poison by Dr. Janet Star Hull which was an eye opener but still I consumed. Funny how we “drinkers” prefer different sources. Only cans for me. The bottled stuff just doesn’t taste the same and only Chik-fil-A 20 miles away has it fountain. I’ve tried to stop multiple times only to cave and restart it. I figured it was my only vice but this vice may be killing me. I’ve had breast cancer twice and thyroid cancer. I have been diagnosed with several autoimmune disorders including fibromyalgia. As I sit here this morning after finding this site (I never realized how many others are addicted to diet sodas!) I am on day 4 of cold turkey. I am miserable. I want my DP “fix” so badly I ache for it. Water is nice but not satisfying the way my DPs are. I’m not having headaches but have had a couple of episodes of dizziness. The worst are the pains going down the back of each hamstring and into my calves. I’ve had a history of really bad muscle spasms in the past – almost exclusively in my legs and feet – and now I wonder if the diet sodas weren’t the cause. If I can get through feeling miserable and yearning for my DDrP, I hope I’ll feel better. I’m tired of being tired, achy, and energy-less. Here’s to all of us, warriors in the battle that no one admits exists.

4. Lisa says:

Thanks for all the comments…my fuzzy head, depression, and joint pain is too much for me to handle! I have GOT to end this 35 year addiction NOW!

5. Jill says:

Ive been addicted to diet coke for nine months. I wouls avearge 10 per day. I stopped yesterday because I was very ill, today I have a migraine that I cannot handle.

6. drunk says:

I often drink 6-9 cans daily! I really love the Coke Zero and pepsi max…for some reason they just are really addictive to me. But i never drink out the can, it’s gotta be in a 44oz styrofoam cup with a buncha ice. Delicious……but very addictive!!

7. denise says:

All these behaviors and habits I have been reading on this website are very familiar to me. I, also, have drank Diet Coke for many years, starting in my freshman year of college. I will be 50 this year. I have had years where I have cut back and focused on other things, like drinking water and eating healthy, but I have always came back to this drink. A few weeks ago, I decided to give it up for good. I have not had a Diet Coke now for almost 36 hours. I know it sounds so small, but this is a major goal for me. I have had so much Diet Coke that my family and friends associated it with me. We can all do it. Greater is God that is in me than this tupid drink that has consumed me. Neesey

8. Mindy says:

The last post I see is from August 2011 it’s now January 2012 and today is the day I am giving it up. I’m trying a caffeinated energy drink called Bing sweetened with cane sugar. Any other suggestions? Wish me luck! I (and my family) are going to need it!!!

9. As Aspartame Boy at TheSpoof.com, I have documented many cases of apartame “wierd” news.

Also, many novel uses for the substance. So, once you kick the habit, you may find many new uses for diet soda, such as killing ants.

It makes a great homeless shelter donation.

10. Shelly says:

I am so glad I found this info. I just gave up Diet Coke yesterday. I typically drank about 180 oz. a day for about 10 years, when I switched from regular Coke. I also have all of the addiction responses; it rules my life to make sure I always have access to Diet Coke; my adult kids call it my ‘diet crack’ as a joke……it disgusts me how much control I give to something as trivial as a soft drink. In the last 2 years I have lost most of my energy; have increasing and extreme body pain; headaches; fuzzy thinking….recently to the point it effects my ability to take care of my home and job responsibilities. I have had tons of friends tell me I have fibromyalgia, but decided to try giving up the pop before pursuing the medical treatment battle and expenses of having that diagnosed. After reading all of your comments I am extremely hopeful that sticking to drinking water will clear up a lot of the symptoms. Again, thank you! And good luck to all of you fellow addiction fighters!

11. Desera says:

I drink soda all day everyday and i feel like it has affected me alot, i never really saw it as an addiction… but anyways i would like to know how to quit drinking so much pop.

12. Phill says:

I have been addicted to diet coke for over 20 years although I havent really considered it an addiction with negative consequences until the last few years……I currently consume 15+ 330ml cans per day. It makes me tired, aggressive, particularly at home with my partner and kids and I suffer from depression. All down to Diet Coke? I genuinely believe so. I did manage to pack it in a few years ago for 2 weeks and it was incredible….I felt like crap for the first week, head aches, fatigue, falling asleep, the works. Then I was out running one morning and it was like somebody had just switched on the lights. I suddenly saw everything with a new clarity, free from the diet coke blur…..I worked out the other day that my addiction is costing me over £1000 per year which is absolutely insane….Time for the bitch to go and with New Year upon us I am absolutely determined that in 2012 I will finally remove this poison from my life

13. kim says:

hi there im 26 and i have been drink upto 6 litres of coca-cola a day for 3yrs i now drink upto 4litres of pepsi or pepsi max a day and cant stop this i get all dizzy, headaches and shakes i have been diagnosed with a caffine addiction because of this but still cant stop drinking it

14. Holly says:

I am 42 years old and soooo addicted to Diet Coke!!! I have a 64 ounce mug that I fill at our local convenience store 2 to 3 times per day. I will even drive 7 miles one way on my days off from work to fill my mug! I’m not sure if Diet Coke is the reason, but I don’t feel good at all. I don’t sleep well and I am starting to have a lot of stomach problems. I want to feel better, but I am not sure if I am strong enough.

15. Stu says:

Drink about 2 liters a day of Diet Pepsi in a glass with lots of ice…also drink about 52oz of water, but I’m tired of the ritual/addiction of pop and while I can find conflicting views online, I “feel” that it’s unhealthy for me…at least in the long run.

Going to use my Christmas break (2 weeks) to try and get off the cycle, wish me luck :)

Regards2All

Stu (45 y/0)

16. Kaitlyn says:

I have been addicted to Diet Coke for 2+ years now, my whole boarding school knows it. I used to have a 2L a day (but my mom stopped buying it) so I have 3 bottles and that is currently not enough. It costs about $21 a week and I’m 16.

17. matt says:

I buy eight 24 packs of diet mtn dew a week. At least 25 cans a day. I’ve been doing this for years. I hope im not doi g any damage I feel fine its just left annoying I carry a cooler everywhere I go. I get madw fun of endlessly by people eho know me well. All I really want is the caff. However I can’t find just plain caff pills all I can find is diet pills with caff in it, but I don’t need to lose wight a day I prob shouldn’t take those all the time either. I work out daily I don’t smoke and never drink liquor. Im just heavily addicted to diet dew. Its prob gonna kill me.

18. Brian says:

I started dieting a couple of years ago and lost 60 pounds. That’s the good news. The bad news is I am no addicted to diet soda to keep my weight down because I feel I am consuming something substantial besides water. I do drink some water but not enough to offset my soda habit. I drink 6-8 cans a day of Diet Pepsi easy. Advice?

19. monca says:

good to read all of your comments – i too have been addicted to and abusineg diet voke for years. ia am sober and dont drink or do drugs, or smoke,but find all of the same behaviors apply to the diet coke – i seem to use it as a mood enhance possibly due to depression that is unchecked – i enjoy the “charge” it gives me but I drink 2 iters plus per day and wind up feeling pretty stressed. Hit bottom the other day when my cardiologist tolld me that diet cvoke is extremely toxic, defintely not a good idea for my heart arrithmya and probably a factor in weght gan!! m done, allthough i feel a void already, but wi find a replcement that is heathy…..

20. charzie says:

i have one diet pepsi can once in two weeks

21. zara says:

I’ve been addicted since I was a kid as I’ve grown up in pubs,I’m 25 now and can’t function without it!,I get moody & headaches without it ,my teeth are knackered!filling and gold teeth ,forever passing a horrible smell and can’t control it i came off it when I was pregnant as one day it tasteful like battery acid and was until she was born but sleepless nights made me go for full fat cherry coke ,even worse! ,,,now I’m still on diet coke my doctor is concerned its causing anxiety and panic attacks so gotta find a way off soon as bt its sooooo hard! Any tips plz x x

22. Mike stauffer says:

Hey there
    I been reading these stories and it’s been making me think real hard. In 2000 I went on a diet and cut out sugar and calories. So I started drinking diet Pepsi.

It started out at like 1-2 cans a day. I looked over at the recycle bin and realized I finished a case of 24 cans of diet Pepsi in 2 days.

So I went and looked up effects from aspertain and I’m like holly cow, soot knee joints, head aches, stomach cramps, and mu partners favorit mu bad gas ( but that’s prob from the carbonation).

I think I actually have 2 adictions cafeen and aspertane. I don’t drink coffee, only diet pepsi, co-workers have made cements like I should invest stock in Pepsi or buys own delivery truck.

So I think I’m going to quit this adiction , beaideds act drink, how would insweetened tea with honey as a sweetener sound as a replacement. I love tea sweetness with honey. So I was just thinking about making a pitcher of it instead of a tall glass once in a while.

When I go without diet pepsi for say 1 day i get realy agrivated easy, and get a bad head ache. It’s goten so bad that i keep a small cooler in my car with diet pepsis.

What would you think would b the best way to kick the habit as I could use as much help as possible. It’s also getting quiet expensive as well , I’d skip a mean at work if I only had $3 just so I know I’d have a couple diet Pepsi. Please help
    Mike

23. Angela says:

I am currently trying to beat a Diet Coke addiction. I need to have at least 6 cans a day. If I don’t have one every few hours I get horrible headaches and am extremely fatigued. My mom and sister both are addicted as well. My mom emailed me a couple days ago and told me she was going to try to quit and I have to try to. She was diagnosed with MS and lupus from the aspartame in all the Diet Coke she drinks. She knows I drink more than she ever has so she is a bit freaked out. I haven’t had Diet Coke since yesterday afternoon and I feel horrible. I’m not sure how long I’ll be able to go without but I want to stop. Any advice???

24. Mike says:

I quit drinking Diet Coke about 4 weeks ago. I initially did so because of an article I read about someone gaining excessive wieght due to their Diet Coke habit and then stopped drinking Diet Coke and over a year lost the extra weight with no further changes in diet or exercise.

I can’t yet comment on any weight loss (i’m not as heave as the person in the article) but I can tell you about one surprising thing I’ve noticed. For years I drank 3-4 diet sodas with lunch and maybe that many again with dinner. After about 2 weeks of drinking water with meals rather than diet soda, I noticed how much better foods taste. It’s like I got my sense of taste back and didn’t even realize it was gone.

I’ve really been amazed at the way things taste. That alone has been worth giving up Diet Coke.

25. Tami says:

Hi,
    I was rear ended 3 years ago and as a result, developed degenerative disc disease, fibromyalgia and most importantly CFS (chronic fatigue syndrome). I can honestly say that without caffeine, I would not be able to take care of my kids. Any ideas about other options other than diet? I have gained a lot of weight as a result of being in pain constantly so exercise at this point is not an option

26. Sherry says:

I’m seriously addicted to diet pepsi. I started drinking it around 4 years ago to lose a few lbs before my wedding and here I am drinking 4 – 6 tins a day. There are days on end that I only drink diet pepsi and nothing else. I don’t think I can do this without a support group that I can physically go in and get some help. Pls, pls, pls, tell me how to quit this awful habit. Cheers.

27. Lucy says:

I am really scared about how much I’ve been drinking – Diet Coke – and for how long. People keep saying that all those years of aspartame will have irreversibly raised my cancer risk and I don’t know what to do about it. I am sure no doctor will ever send me for any scans or tests based on diet coke.

When I read all these comments I’m sad to see so many of you going through what I have, but also grateful for you sharing your experience, it helps.

28. Nichole says:

Hey, I am 26. I buy a 24 pack of diet coke and have it drank in a day or two, I seriously drink nothing BUT Diet Coke all day EVERYDAY and have been for like 2 or 3 years now.. I can not stop.. I do not know what to do about it and I do not know what it is doing to my health.. but I stay 5 lbs over weight, and thirsty 24/7. What is your thoughts on this!

29. Cindy says:

I think im getting addicted to diet coke especially from fountains. I love it cause it has no calories and I can drink soda without getting more thirsty like with regular soda. Im dying for one right now! Im scared im going to become dependent on it.

30. Ken says:

This problem is CLEARLY a legitimate addiction, and although perhaps a lesser evil than some, should be treated accordingly. I have always been into health and nutrition. I eat well, exercise (weights and cardio), get decent sleep, and am always on the look out for ways to better my health, YET 2-3 2liters/day has really made all this VERY hard for me to continue! I am 32, and as of 2 months ago, in the best shape of my life! As the amt of Diet WHATEVER I have been drinking goes up my energy crashes. Much like an alcoholic, the more I drink, the more I NEED! Headaches every day now. Mood swings. Stomach problems. Maybe the WORST of ALL…preoccupation with the junk when I dont have 1 to my lips or within close proximity! All of your wonderful and HONEST comments have encouraged me to finally be done with this POISON!!! Thank you all for letting me know that Im not the only one struggeling with this ADDICTION!

31. Ken says:

Sorry, 1 more comment. I believe the caffeine EXHAUSTS the adrenal glands (resoponsible for adrenalin, fight/flight ect.). To fully understand that this REALLY does affect our mood, anger, energy, sleep patters, and over all health and wellbeing, do a quick web search on adrenal gland exhaust/health. I hope this helps, and thank you all again!

32. Zee says:

I’m 20 I haven’t been drinking diet soda for too long i used to get it when my bf and i went out to eat. But recently like a month or so ago my bf started buying it at the grocery store and bringing it home so i was drining it more often. Then one morning out of nowhere i got completely terrified that i was going to gety brain cancer. Since then i’ve been in hell afraid for my life. Obviously ive stopped drinking it. But i was hoping someone would make me more confident that im not going to die D:

33. karen says:

I went cold turkey 4 days ago from Diet Pepsi. I’ve been lucky to not have any headaches. This is probably due to my having an occasional cup of tea. Just enough caffeine to keep me happy. I also dropped coffee about a month ago and just have one every now and then as a treat. The chemicals have to be dangerous in diet drinks. A coworker of mine who is also addicted told me diet drinks give her headaches and blurred vision. Yikes!!

34. C. Lee says:

I am on day 4 of kicking my ASSpartame habit. I have no doubt that I am addicted to Diet Coke – especially from fountains. I specifically crave the fountain variety and will search it out at all costs. Diet Coke in the can or plastic bottle is different in some way and doesn’t satisfy my craving. I drank at least four to five 32 ounce Diet Cokes per day. Some days, I’d have as many as six or seven. A minimum of one gallon of Diet Coke per day! I quit smoking about 10 months ago and have found that I’m using Diet Coke in place of cigarettes. Anyway, I’ve had a host of medical issues that cannot be explained, so I did some research over the weekend and was convinced that I needed to give up aspartame completely. Some of the medical issues I suffer from is random bone pain that wakes me up in the middle of the night, extreme rapid decrease in my vision, headaches, increase in severity of Reynauds related symptoms, markedly increased craving for sweets which has caused me to gain weight, sleep disturbances, and unexplained lethargy/inability to focus. So, as I said, this is day 4 of my ‘withdrawal’ and it definitely is a withdrawal! This addiction is not only a physical addiction, but comes with a mental obsession/addiction as well. My days are literally planned around where and when I’ll get me next fountain drink. I’m dealing with a few physical symptoms like super-increased hunger, especially for sweets and a slight headache. I’m also dealing with the mental obsession and trying to figure out other ways to reward myself during the day without resorting to diet coke. The good news is that I can already see a difference in my energy level, I’m sleeping better, and my vision is slightly improved. I intend to do more research and just wanted to share my story. Thank you, Mike, for starting this website

35. Jen says:

Yeah same i drank 8 cans of full fat coke every day i got off of that by drinking sugar free squash no aspartine stuff and doing half hour exercise everyday. Now i have an addiction to diet coke and i am going to go on squash because although its only 6 cans a day 42 cans a week sometimes 50 its eroding my internel organs. GET OFF IT HUN YOU NEED TO FOR YOUR ORGANS TRUST ME! XX

36. Linda says:

My brother died this past Friday of a brain tumor. He drank 1/2 a case of Diet Coke every day. He was 47 years old. I think the Diet Coke was the cause of his tumor. That was my wake up call. Diet Coke seems to be more addictive than other sodas and caffine drinks. I, too have struggled with Diet Coke addiction. I am transitioning off with other caffinated drinks to get through withdrawl. Good luck to all of you.

37. Markles says:

My name is Markles, and I’m a sucker for ice-cold DCs. During workdays I hide a 12-pack by my feet and change out the empty can on my desk while my co-workers aren’t looking. In a typical evening I’ll polish off a two-liter with dinner, then brush and rinse with a glass or two before bed. I’ve tried caffeine pills, vanilla latte IV drips, and chai tea bodyshots, but they’re just not the same. Please help.

38. Lisa says:

I drink 12-20 cans of diet soda a day and am very concerned that I can’t seem to stop. I try but it’s a serious addiction. Can anyone help?

39. Erin says:

Dean~My mom kept sending me or telling me all the research on what it does to your body, and it took a long time, but eventually I started listening. Diet sodas can increase heart disease, risk of diabetes, and stroke, not to mention what it does to your teeth. GOod Luck!

40. Erin says:

Today is day 1 of no pop at all. I usually drink 6 cans of Diet Pepsi a day, or sometimes 2 44 oz pops and a can or two, either way….too much! I am trying to drink water, or sparkling water and juice (so I get the bubbly effect), but it is sooo hard. It is a minute by minute battle not to go to the gas station and get just a small one. I know I can’t just have one, so I am trying not to have any at all. I hope it gets easier!

41. dac says:

Hi,

My wife is 44 yrs old and drinks 12 cans of Diet Coke per day – she will only drink it out of a can.

Can you please help

Many Thanks

Dean

42. Amber says:

I quit drinking diet pop 10 days ago. After the second day, I had a migraine for a few days but now different parts of my body hurt, I have never felt this kind of pain before. The pain goes all the way down one on my legs and it had been aching for 6 days. It made me think of what diet pop was doing to my body. I drank diet pop for about 13 years.

43. Caroline says:

Hello! I am so glad I found this site. I am doing a report on how diet soda and how it affects your body. If anyone has any experiences with this,please comment back. I am also a diet soda drinker who is now cutting the habit,as I suffer from frequent headaches from it! :) Thanks a bunch.

44. Bob from Norman says:

I’ve been drinking Diet Pepsi for 20 years. Usually at least a 12 pack a day. Sometimes 20 a day. I recently tried to replace it with ice water but I gotta have my fix. Didn’t know you actually become addicted to this stuff. I cant drink regular Pepsi because it’s too sweet

45. stephanie says:

i am 36 and have been drinking diet drinks heavily since the days of tab. i am on my 4 th day with no diet cola. i am having bad headaches and moodiness. is this normal withdrawal ? i really feel bad…….

46. Tony says:

I started drinking diet soda back when TAB Cola was the only diet soda on the market. I graduated to diet Pepsi sometime in the mid-80′s & my diet soda addiction escalated from there. Over the past 10-15 years I’ve hardly drunk anything else but diet Pepsi. I’m 41 years old, and God only knows what irreparable harm I’ve done to my body by drinking all that swill. I’ve made a commitment to stop drinking this foul bile once & for all & to start drinking water, which apart from occasionally swallowing the stuff in the shower I have not consumed on a regular basis since Reagan was President.

47. Vann says:

Is there a retail store that sells this drink?

48. Lara says:

I am so addicted to this drink so I am trying to wean myself off it, I would literally drink as many cans of coke as I could get my hands on. Any tips? I have a headache and all i am drinking at the moment is 1-2 cans per day but my head is pounding!!

lara 21 uk

49. Bell Marshall says:

Hi Im a 33 year old woman. I became addicted to coke either diet or full when I was pregnate with my son 3-4 years ago.. I knew I was addicted when I could easily have upto ten cans a day. My teeth were starting to hurt. I couldnt toilet properly and my legs constantly ached. I am now on day 11 off the coke and its killing me. I am very anxious. have lost my appetite compleatly and feel very nausous. I thought that by now I would be fine but I was fine the first week.. Just some small headaches. This week I feel dreadful any suggestions?? Im drinking heaps of water and green tea. (the green tea makes me sick blah) and having normal tea as a substitute. cheers Bell

50. Euan says:

I drink over 2 litres of diet coke per day alone and i’m only 15. I wanna do somthing about it, but everytime i try and stop the withdrawrel symtoms become too intense.
    I belive my biggest problem is that my body is so addicted to this stuff that drinking anything else just increases my thirst EVEN WATER! And I find diet coke is the only thing I can drink when I’m thirsty.
    What should I do?